Tuesday, 4 June 2013

A blocked nose and some very expensive wine

My husband and I hosted a wine tasting evening last Friday. We had managed to come by two of the best Chardonnay wines in the world. And this in a country where sales of alcohol is controlled by the government. I have a rather stubborn cold going, and had to use some decongestant spray before our evening started. As I smelled the first wine, a Batard-Montrachet Grand Cru 2008, the first thing I noticed was an almost chemical smell, and thought it could be affected by the nasal spray. Others were however commenting on notes such as butter, fruit, etc etc. The taste was quite complex, and the aftertaste lingered on and on, but I was not blown away by this wine the same way the others were.

After tasting the other 5 wines, having a break, and then going back to them, a question was brought forth by another member of the group, and I will recount the gist of it in a very simplified (and probably incorrect) form here: if you were to drink one wine for an eternity, which of these wines would it be? I surprised the others by choosing the simplest wine of them all, an Argentinian wine. It almost fell flat in comparison to the others when I first tasted it, but later I realized that it was actually very pleasant and easy to drink, and I think I'd rather have that for an eternity than something which in comparison feels like a blow to your face. Others made the comment that if you are stuck with one thing for an eternity, it needs to be something which retains your interest, and gives you something a little new every time.

I don't know whether to be alarmed by my view on this or not, have I really become someone who just wants to ease my way through life without any challenges? Or have I always been this way? Maybe my life is presenting me with enough challenges at the moment, and I am therefore longing for some peace and quiet? I think I will try to store these questions and ask them again, as they point to something quite crucial in my view on matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment